We believe that as a PACS administrator you need to be mindful that the imaging workflow solution you choose will impact staff productivity, quality of diagnosis, turnaround time, patient satisfaction, and even the relationship with referring physicians.
We’ve identified 6 important things to consider when selecting your next RIS/PACS system:
- User-interface: Ease of use is an important criterion because it directly impacts staff productivity. A system that is intuitive and easy to learn will save your staff’s time figuring out how to use it and have lesser probability for human mistakes.
- Automated workflow: As the adage goes, “never delegate something that can be automated”. Manual workflows are not seamless and can impede the growth of your facility because they are time consuming, error prone and not intuitive. The benefit of workflow automation is that it streamlines the process and thereby eliminates confusion about next steps, reduces scope for errors and improves turn-around times.
- Interoperability: Empowering patients and their caregivers with easier access to their imaging studies is now a pro-interoperability rule proposed by ONC. Facilitating continuity of care is the responsibility of everyone in the healthcare eco-system. As a key decision maker, the onus is on you to choose a PACS vendor that allows seamless flow of patient data for connected care. Make sure that your vendor has incorporated the latest FHIR standards into their solution.
- Security: With the growing number of cyber-attacks on the healthcare industry, it’s now more than ever that we need to be proactive about patient data security. Cloud-based solutions help mitigate the risk of data theft, ransomware, natural disasters etc. In addition, they offer real time data backups thus keeping the data available to you even when an incident occurs.
- Scalability: When investing in a new imaging workflow solution, think about how it will accommodate the needs of your growing imaging facility or hospital in the long term. Choose a solution that gives you the flexibility of easy upgrades to suit your needs along the way. This way you can avoid the hassle of finding a new vendor and migrating all your data to a completely new system.
- Vendor support: This is an overlooked aspect in the vendor selection checklist probably because we don’t expect anything to go wrong with a new system. In most cases, you would be okay with the standard support hours, but what if an emergency occurs post those hours? That’s why it’s good to check if the vendor has on-call staff to take your emergency calls during odd hours.
Looking for a new imaging workflow solution? Our experts can help you find a solution that fits your needs and your budget.